Blooming Sparkly Red Rose

Pages

Sunday, 6 July 2014

So What About BB Cushions?

   Summer is here for good and that means heatwaves and a burning sun. I don't know about you, but I am a bit unmotivated to wear makeup when I'm melting like a popsicle. However, since I have to go out, I prefer bases that are lightweight, non greasy, but provide some coverage as well.
   And so I met the BB Cushions!! I was bound to anyway, as they are extremely popular in Korea!If you are interested in Asian beauty products and, like me, you scout the internet for interesting new things,you must have stumbled upon the BB Cushions. They are not exactly new,as they've been around for quite some time now, but they still haven't become popular in the western world (see BB and CC creams that have been launched by so many western companies). I recently purchased my first BB cushions,after eyeing them for a while,so I decided to make a review, since I have used them almost everyday since then. Fair warning,this post might be a little long and picture heavy :)


[Read in Greek]


Laneige BB Cushion (Pore Control) SPF 50+ No.21


  So what is a BB Cushion? It is basically a compact,with a sponge and a puff for application. The cream is under the sponge and you get it by simply pressing the puff on it. It is also great for carrying around in your bag without worries, as in the compact there is an extra lid to protect the cushion. Moreover, most cushions can be refilled.
  I read a lot of reviews before deciding what to order.This Laneige BB Cushion Pore Control is targeted to combination/oily skintypes with pore problems, so it called my name! It comes with a little leaflet with information and instructions on how to replace the refill and how to clean the puff. When I opened the cushion,the sponge was also protected with a plastic seal,for hygiene purposes of course.
  To the pros:
  • The cream smells great, but not too intense!
  • Application is very easy, the puff applies the product evenly, so no worries about blending and buffing in.
  • When it first touches the skin it gives a slight cooling feeling, and though it doesn't last, it's very welcome especially in this hot weather.
  • Coverage is pretty good! It covers pores amazingly, also redness and occasional blemishes. But if you have more intense skin problems, like acne, this might not be enough on its own. Personally, I only use concealer under the eyes with it.
  • It's lightweight, almost like you put nothing on.
  • Hello? SPF 50+ means you don't need to add extra sunscreen underneath, so less products layering and weighing on your skin with this heat.
  • It gives a semi-matte finish and it doesn't cake easily, I mean one layer is enough. Now, if you go nuts and add 10.. you have an issue :P
  • It looks natural on the skin. The shade I got is No.21, and though I was worried it'd be too light, it's perfect. However, if you tan (which personally I fight not to do), or if your skintone is darker then it might not suit you.
  • Touch-ups with this also don't make me cakey.
  • Very sleek and high-end looking packaging.
  • It contains ingredients that help prevent troubles caused by excess sebum.
  The cons with this product are only a couple and not too important to me:
  • To some the puff can be a problem. Although it is washable, the refill has its own puff and you can also get extra puffs, you'll have to clean it often in order to avoid nasty things developing on it, just like with your brushes. Because it is stored inside the compact, I clean the compact often as well with a pad drenched in rubbing alcohol. 
  • It took me a while to realise what the instructions mean by mild detergent to clean the puff. I had tried rubbing alcohol, cleansing foam, hand soap, shower gel to no avail and then it hit me.. Detergent.. Yes, laundry detergent! After, it dawned on me I searched online and saw that some people also use dish soap. Anyway, it's the only thing that cleans the puffs and the only reason it's in the cons is because I had trouble cleaning the damn thing before this revelation.. :D
  • At first it might take a bit more time to do your base with this product if you're not used to puffs and applying with patting motions, like me.
  • It's kinda pricey and not easily available, and also it doesn't come in many shades.
Ignore the bare nail, I hadn't done my mani yet :P
     I have used this cushion over moisturiser and primer and alone directly on clean skin. Since BB Cushions provide hydration, if your skin is oily like mine, I think it's better to skip moisturiser or use a very light one. I actually liked it better when used alone, and even though I would have to blot once or twice in about 10 hours, it lasted pretty well! I also found that it looks better without a powder on top.
   In general, this Laneige BB Cushion Pore Control is great! I still need to use this more,and also I'll have to test it out when it starts to cool down outside. For now, I'm enjoying using it and so far no clogging and no breakouts!And SPF 50+!!!Haaaa :-D
   I bought mine from Gmarket here, the option with the refill costs around $30. Since this version of Laneige's BB Cushion is fairly new, I can only find it on Gmarket. The original version which is more for dry/normal skintypes can be found on eBay, in rubyruby76 store.

IOPE Air Cushion XP No. C23


  One of the most popular BB Cushions out there is the IOPE Air Cushion XP. I really didn't do much thinking about buying this,I had already decided to go for this and the Hera UV Mist Cushion,but the latter was replaced by the Laneige one (for now at least :P). This IOPE cushion is very similar to the Laneige cushion. In terms of packaging especially, you can even put the refill of the one into the compact of the other. Not weird considering that Laneige and IOPE both belong to the Korean cosmetic giant Amore Pacific. I've read that the refills fit the compacts of other brands under Amore Pacific as well, like Etude House, Hera and I think even Sulwhasoo (which means if you have one compact, say the one by IOPE, you can try different refills, which are cheaper to buy than the whole thing).

Pros of  IOPE Air Cushion:
  • Very similar to the Laneige one. It is lightweight, has great coverage, it is longwearing, it smells great, overall it performs really well.
  • Makes my skin look almost airbrushed.
  • It's moisturising and doesn't accentuate dry patches.
  • Also has SPF 50+, woohoo summer sun I'll beat you! LoL
  • It has the very promising and desired characteristic of being sweat-proof.
  • It promises to improve the condition of pores and also has wrinkle improvement properties.
  • It contains Vitamin B5, Vitamin E derivatives and Vitamin P (aka Flavonoids)
  • Packaging is also sleek and high-end looking, it comes with an information and instructions leaflet, and can be refilled as well.
If I have to find some cons I'd say this:
  • The finish it gives is super dewy. As we all know super dewy stuff on oily skin may not be the best idea ever. However, I use a mattifying powder on top of this and though my skin looks more matte it still has a beautiful glow.
  • Also on the pricey side. This one though can be found more easily, meaning it is available on eBay.
   I found it best to use directly on clean skin,without moisturiser as this cushion is hydrating enough on its own. I guess in colder weather I could even do without powder, but I'll have to see when the time comes.
  I could find this in more shades than the Laneige BB Cushion. There are 5 shades in total, Natural 21 and 23, which gives lighter coverage and a bit of natural glow, Shimmer 22 for more brightness, and Cover 21 and 23 for more coverage and durability. I have C23 (C for cover, N for natural) and it blends in perfectly with my skintone.
  I got this from Gmarket as well, here, for 31,160 Won, which is about $31.

IOPE Air Cushion Blusher



  This is a bonus!It is actually a blusher in the form of a cushion. The colour is a light pink,not very intense though, and it is great to use with the BB cushions. If you want a blusher that shows,then this is not the one for you. It gives a hint of colour, very natural, very light and pretty, but I think that for any skintone darker than mine it wouldn't show up.
  I like the cute little puff it comes with, the product itself follows the principles of the IOPE Air Cushion XP, so it's light on the skin, it stays on, it is glowy and smells great! It also has SPF 30, not bad for a blusher..If you're a lucky girl and you can go out without any foundation/BB cream at all, this would be great for adding a hint of colour to the cheeks.
  Did I need this? Nope. Did I have to get it? Hell, yeah!! It's a cushion blusher! I ordered this with the other two cushions, from here, for about 19,000 Won which is close to $19. It is also available on eBay.


Wow, that was the longest post I've written so far...
That's it for now! Take care, drink lots of water, stay in the shade, wear sunscreen, it's only summer!!  (๑>ᴗ<๑)

2 comments:

  1. I love air cushions so much, the packaging, the quality, they are so perfect!!! But to be honest I think they are a bit of a waste of product as there is no way you can use it all, some will be absorbed by the sponge and wasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately,true..but they're so worth it!!

      Delete